Penetration testing also called pen testing is the practice of testing a computer system, network or Web application to find vulnerabilities that an attacker could exploit, have become much popular these days due to increase in cyber crime. Each day hundreds of people are getting targeted by online attacks executed by the hackers. We have an aim to make this cyber space secure for everyone. We’re just launching a free ethical hacking course to make awareness in people to fight against these cyber attacks.
This course will cover all the topics from scratch to pro. Every tutorial will have complete demonstration of the attack step by step. So, here’s the first step before learning how to hack. We need to setup penetration testing lab first. As we’re going to learn it for educational purpose only. We setup a hacking environment on our machine which will not harm anyone in the real.
Let’s setup penetration testing lab,
For that we need few free tools as below:
- Virtualization supported machine (You can check your machine virtualization settings in BIOS)
- VirtualBox (This is the tool used to run multiple operating systems on the same machine)
- Kali Linux Virtual Image (An operating system, which will act as an attacker machine during this course)
- MetaSploitable (It is also an OS that is vulnerable, and we will use it as a target machine)
- Windows 10 (It’ll also be a victim machine)
These settings may vary from system to system.
- Go to system BIOS settings.
- Find the Processor submenu, it may be hidden in Security, Chipset or in the Advanced CPU Configuration’s sub menu.
- Enable Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT). If you have AMD processor, then it may be named as AMD-V. It can depend on your processor brand.
- Save and reboot the machine.