Linux have always been the favorite platform for the pentesters. Linux had a flavor called BackTrack had all the tools needed for pentesting, which is now been replaced with the Kali Linux. Kali is much powerful pentesting machine. But now a days users want to use it as a virtual machine instead of the main operating system. So, in this tutorial I will show how to install and configure kali linux as a virtual machine.
- Virtualization supported Machine. Check your BIOS for virtualizaiton.
- Kali Linux Virtual Image
Steps to install and configure kali linux:
- Download VirtualBox according to your host operating system. After downloading, install it. Installation is very simple.
- Download Kali Linux and select a version according to your host operating system architecture. Make sure, you select tab named as ‘Kali Linux VirtualBox Images’.
- After installing VirtualBox, run it.
- Open the Kali Linux Virtual Image that you have downloaded in step 2.
- As you open it, you’ll get a pop-up like below. Simply click on ‘Import‘ button. After you hit import button, it’ll take few minutes to import the settings. Just wait for it to complete.
- After completion of importing settings, you’ll see the Kali Linux in left pane of VirtualBox. Select it and click the ‘Start‘ button to run it.
- As you’ll run, it’ll ask for username and password. Enter username ‘root‘, password ‘toor‘ and hit ‘Sign in‘. These are the default credentials. You can change it later in settings.
- After putting the username and password, you’ll be logged in to Kali Linux as you can see below.
That’s all. You’ve successfully installed and configure kali linux. Hope it’ll work for you. If you couldn’t get anything clear, you can watch the video tutorial on how to install and configure kali linux as virtual machine.
Feel free to query anything regarding this tutorial.